Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Monday 20 July 2015

July 20, 2015 - Area 4: Surrey East

Three Quarters There...

Another week has passed away and another mile stone has been reached. In 6 months from today my mission will be over... Its a scary thought. Its one of those thoughts that makes you look at yourself in the mirror and realize that you have very little time left to improve. By August 6th, the sisters I came out with from the MTC will be home. Elder Lawlor will be gone with them. In a missionary sense, you can consider me "old." 

In short, the week has been pretty good. We taught Ian twice this week. Both the Restoration and Plan of Salvation. He wants it to be true, he just needs to get a spiritual witness that it is true. He's been reading the Book of Mormon daily and has a baptismal date for August 9th. He came to church on Sunday too. Levi and Sonya got back from vacation on Saturday so we'll be able to teach them again soon. We haven't been able to meet with Dawn yet.

Early in the week we found a young man named Ryan who is interested in the church. Before we saw him the next time, his family found out he was being taught by us and they are interested as well! They had to move the appointment they set with us Friday evening to this week but we have great hope that we'll be able to see them this week.

The biggest wow moment of the week was on Saturday. We were at a members house for dinner. Dawn Sutton is his name. As we were eating, I noticed an old black and white photo I knew I had seen before. It was of my Great Grandpa Prete with his family (who was my dad's mom's dad.) I told him about my relation to the Pretes. Turns out his mother was a Prete and she happens to be Great Grandpa Prete's sister! That's not even the crazy part. He told me that President Burt's mother was a Prete too, another sibling of Great Grandpa Prete! That basically means that President Burt is a first cousin of my Grandma Samis! Don't ask me what that makes me to him but its a small, small world when it comes to them Mormon families. I hope everyone keeps enjoying the summer. It won't last long! The days are getting noticeably shorter and we're already two-thirds done July. Love you!

Elder Maclean Samis


No comments:

Post a Comment