Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Saturday 11 July 2015

July 6, 2015 - Area 4: Surrey East

Pain Day

Another challenging week has struck the Surrey 1st Elders. Last Monday morning Elder Lawlor woke up really sick to his stomach and was having to use the washroom every 15 minutes. I felt fine in the morning but shortly after I finished emailing, I started feeling sick too. First came the fever, then the achy stomach, then the bad diarrhea. Elder Tolman was taken away to work with the West Elders to prevent him from falling victim too. We became so sick that we ended up having to stay in the rest of the day to get some sleep and drink plenty of water. At about 8:00 pm I ended up feeling so disgusting that I thought I was going to pass out but luckily I vomited before I did.

Tuesday was a little better for me, but Elder Lawlor was feeling about the same and sometimes even worse throughout the day. We were able to do a little work for about an hour and a half during our studies, but we realized our mistake. Feeling more exhausted then ever, we called President Burt and stayed in until the last hour of the day. 

On Canada Day I felt better but poor Elder Lawlor was still a mess. Despite eating next to nothing for almost 3 days, he still kept on having to use the washroom over and over and had to call the mission nurse to figure out what to do. When he described the severity of the pain in a certain area in his stomach, she suggested that he go to the hospital just in case he had appendicitis! We had to wait for about an hour and a half in emergency only to luckily find out that it was apparently just a bad stomach virus that was going around. Despite all the terrible things he's had to endure, Elder Lawlor still kept a remarkably positive attitude. He's a real trooper and has been a great companion!     

Then came Thursday. Elder Lawlor was finally better, though he still had to get some rest before we left the apartment. Elder Tolman came back that evening and managed to not get sick fortunately. What of Friday? That was my birthday! It wasn't overly eventful. I ate McDonalds with my companions and then went to DQ during the evening for an oreo birthday cake blizzard which proved to be very good. I turned 21 and I will be the same age when I return home this January. Time grows short.

Well due to our illness, we didn't teach many lessons. Just the usual finding. Ever since I've arrived in Surrey, there's been a strange way god has chosen to teach us. Whenever we overcome an obstacle it seems like BAM! something else bad happens and we get knocked back on our butts. I have no idea why the success has been so scarce in this area but we just somehow need to man up and figure things out. Hope July has been treating the rest of you good. Have a great week!


Elder Maclean Samis          

No comments:

Post a Comment