Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Saturday 1 February 2014

January 27, 2014 - Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah


Greetings everyone! This is Elder Samis reporting from the MTC in Provo, Utah. First off I would like to thank you for the letters and that package of goodies in the mail! First off where do begin? So much has happened during my first week here that I won't even try and write every single experience I've had here! I suppose I should tell you that everything at the airport went smoothly, although the moment the airplane left the ground from Edmonton, the feeling hit me that I would not be returning home for a couple of years. It was a really hard idea for me to swallow but I was fine after a few moments. When my flight landed in Minneapolis, I discovered that the terminal I had to wait for going to Salt Lake was fairly close to the one I got off! What a blessing that was! I didn't even have to look at my map. On my way to the plane's bathroom just before the plane took off, I ran into a man who asked me "What's the word?" I replied to him "The gospel has been restored." "Good to here!" he said. Then I told him I was going to Salt Lake to train in the MTC. He wasn't a member, but he recognized who I was based on my clothing. He didn't seem to interested in learning about the church but he wished me luck and went back to take his seat. The woman sitting beside me asked me what I was traveling for. When I told her, she explained that she was a member and that she had a cousin serving in Seattle. When I told her that I was going to Vancouver and was from Edmonton she found that funny that I was going so close to home.

Once I got to the Salt Lake International, I got my luggage and waited for my shuttle. When I got on there was just one other missionary. His name was Elder Shaver and as it turns out he's from Vancouver, British Columbia! He told me he was going to Paris, France and when I told him where I was going he was very surprised! When the 2 of us arrived at the MTC we were instructed that we had to room together in a guest room for a night. The room was tiny with a couple sets of bunk beds and a bathroom smaller then my own back home. Needless to say, I got next to no sleep and the 2 of us got out of bed the next morning tired and sore. I barely ate anything for breakfast from feeling so anxious. The food seems good but I didn't eat much until the day after. I met the rest of the district after breakfast. My companion, Elder Bonfield is from Niagra Falls, Ontario. If you can believe it, 4 out of the 6 missionaries in my MTC district are Canadians! I've loved working with him so far. He's got a great sense of humor and he's helped me a lot since I've arrived here. My teachers have been awesome! Brother Payne and Brother Beuhit have taught us so much about teaching the gospel. The greatest experience so far has been attending last night's Sunday devotional. The first half was hosted by President Richard B Allan. He's a spiritual giant and his speaking skills rival that of General Authorities. Shortly after we watched a talk that Elder Bednar gave in the MTC a few years ago. It was on how to become more Christlike by putting off the natural man. It was the greatest talk I've ever heard. I also had the time to go to the Provo Temple earlier today.

I've been greatly challenged here at the MTC but it has also been an experience quite unlike any other. The days feel incredibly long, yet I haven't been had the time to write in my journal! As I've role played with my fellow zone members and teachers I feel like I'm learning how to become a great missionary. My schedule has been tight and getting ready in the morning is a great challenge but it's been worth it. I would love to tell you as much as I possibly can but I just don't have the time. In fact THERE'S NO TIME FOR ANYTHING! I love all of you and I miss you dearly! Thanks again for the letters. Until next Monday,

Elder Maclean Samis        

No comments:

Post a Comment