Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Monday 3 February 2014

February 3, 2014 - Week 2 in the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah


Hello everyone! It's been great hearing from you over the past week! It's hard to believe that I've been in the mtc for almost a couple weeks now. I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention my thoughts on the food here so I will address it now before I forget again. :P It's been okay for the most part. Unfortunately breakfast is almost always disappointing and the infamous "efy" powdered eggs are often served. Lunches and dinners are usually good. There's also a lot to drink here. It's weird seeing caffiene free coke fountains all over the place in the cafe!

Anyway being here during the course of the week has had it's ups and downs. I have so much stuff in my dorm room that it's gotten really hard to stay organized and follow the schedule. At least I finally know my way around the campus now. It's been quite easy relating to the other members of my district since we are all going to the same mission! We also have seen and felt each others frustrations while learning to teach the gospel to others. Our lessons with investigators (both real and role playing with teachers) have been very interesting to say the least. I've seen missionaries from both the Elder and Sister districts of my zone come out of lessons crying after teaching investigators when things don't go well. One Elder in particular in our district has had a really rough time. On late Wednesday night he got a letter from his family that informed him that his best friend had been killed in a car accident back home. My companion and I gave him a blessing to overcome his grief for his loss and by the next evening he was the same fun loving missionary he's always been! Its been amazing watching him overcome such a massive obstacle in such a short period of time.

Our zone went to our Sunday devotional and watched the Joseph Smith film they used to show in Salt Lake. Never before then had I ever had a stronger testimony that he was truly a prophet of God. I also realized that if a man like Joseph Smith could suffer through so much, I could successfully serve a mission. I've learned so much about teaching the gospel. I'll miss the mtc and the friends I've made here but I look forward to going to BC in a couple days to serve the Lord! I love you all so much and I thank you for the letters/emails you send me. I'm praying hard for you all and thank you for praying for me! :)

Until next Monday,

Elder Maclean Samis

No comments:

Post a Comment