Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Tuesday, 27 January 2015

January 26, 2014 - Area 2: Clearbrook (Abbotsford)

The 2nd Year Begins...

January 21, 2014 is a day I will never forget for the rest of my life. The day I left for the MTC. Much has changed in that time and here I am, just past my year mark in a seemingly rough time for my companion and I. Poor Elder Johnson had to see the doctor and was diagnosed with bronchitis on Wednesday and has been sick for a while. He just finished his anti-biotics and he's been doing a lot better. 

Our teaching pool continues to sit empty with Garry in a reflection process. In my previous letter I forgot to mention him. His girlfriend had a heart attack at the beginning of last week and has returned from the hospital since then but has still been not feeling well. Garry has been under a lot of stress as a result and he ended up missing church this week and the last. 

Thus, we did a lot of finding this week. On Tuesday while I was on an exchange out in Mission, Elder Johnson and Elder Mahabeer found a lady named Teressa who seems keen to learn. We'll be seeing her on Tuesday. The exchange for Elder Orr and I was a good one. I met one of their investigators with a baptismal date. His name is Shane and it appears that once he's quit smoking, he'll get baptized for sure! We also moved a family out with the Mission East Elders which was good fun.

We haven't been able to talk to Sara since our last visit. She doesn't have a phone and we're not allowed to meet in the place she's staying in at the moment. Chris has been busy and told us over the phone that he doesn't want to pull her away from the things she's been having to deal with so we have no choice but to just pray that there'll be a way to get to her somehow... Wednesday the 22nd was the official day of our year mark so we went to Dairy Queen to celebrate, other then that it was a fairly normal day.

Thursday we had a special zone training in the church's high council room where we heard from Sister Burt and the assistants while President Burt interviewed each of us. After Sister Burt did a role play with one of the Chilliwack sisters, she turned to me and ask the question "Elder Samis, at the start of your mission, how did you feel knowing that you had to talk to complete strangers all the time?"  I replied, "I thought, how on earth am I going to do this?" It made me further reflect on how far I've been able to come. Only through God has such a thing been possible. Sister Burt went on to explain that just because you're a missionary doesn't mean that you don't have to be yourself. We were encouraged to show enthusiasm and energy when we talk to someone.  

Sunday night we went to dinner at the Hara's place. Then we saw Brother Gauthier and a less active friend of his named Gerald who has been living in his place for a couple months. He told us that he's ready to come back to church and to come out teaching with us! He's originally from Ontario and he said that he would go teaching with the elders there all the time. 

So far 2015 hasn't been very kind to us. I don't know why things have happened the way they have been lately but I know that there's someone else who does. They say that January is a difficult time of the year for a lot of people. That may be true but things are the way they are. Hang on everybody, the month is almost gone! 

Elder Maclean Samis          

No comments:

Post a Comment