Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Monday, 5 May 2014

May 5, 2014 - Nanaimo South

Hello everyone and welcome to another weekly update! It's been a bit of a crazy week. It all began with transfers. Not to worry, don't get excited, neither Elder Lawter (who is now into his extension and goes home May 29) or I have been transferred from Nanaimo. However, President Tilleman requested that we would come to transfer meeting for a personal interview. We weren't sure how long we would be staying at the mainland so we planned to stay a couple of day with the Burnaby Chinese Elders. Our interviews went just fine but by the time they were over it was too late to catch the 5:45pm ferry back to Nanaimo. If we took the 8:15pm ferry we wouldn't be able to get to the island in time for our curfew.

We ended up having to stay at the Richmond South Elder's apartment since Burnaby is too far away from the ferry port that night and we woke up to catch the 7:45am ferry. We made it back safe and sound but we were already behind in our finding by then. In other transfer news, Elder Duersch and Elder Glover are staying in Nanaimo! Elder Rolfson has also been replaced by Elder Stapley in Duncan. 

Despite what little time we've had to find, The Lord has provided us a way to find 7 new investigators! We were able to teach Kevin again this week. We taught him a bit about the plan of salvation and the word of wisdom. He seems willing to keep it but he didn't come to church on Sunday. We also gave Tanya a blessing on Tuesday while she was sick but she didn't come to church either.

Then came the highlight of the week: Lilly's baptism! You probably remember me mentioning her  family who were once less active before we met them. Marly has been coming to church regularly with her two children, Lilly and Malachi. Lilly turned 8 years old on May 4 and was baptized on her birthday by (if you can believe it) My old trainer, Elder Groeneveld! Because him and I were the first companionship to teach her, Lilly requested Elder Groeneveld to baptize her while I would perform the confirmation. Elder Groeneveld was very excited to have the chance to do it! He loved working with the Larsens and he asked President Tilleman's permission to go back to Nanaimo to take part in it. I'm very happy to tell you that his request was granted. :)

It was a very happy reunion! It was great seeing Elder Groeneveld again and to meet his new companion, There was a lot of people at the service including much of Lilly's extended family. It was truly an amazing experience to be a part of. Unfortunately I forgot the camera, but I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can. I love this work and I hope all of you are doing well. I'm not sure what will happen once Elder Lawter moves on. I'll miss his bad jokes and great cooking skills! Aw well some things can't last forever. Until next time farewell!


With love from,


Elder Maclean Samis           

No comments:

Post a Comment