Still in Nanaimo for now

Still in Nanaimo for now
Elder Samis on the ferry

Monday, 9 February 2015

February 9, 2015 - Area 2: Clearbrook (Abbotsford)

Counting Car Crashes

Its been a great week! There is much to talk about and little time. We taught Theresa the 1st lesson Monday evening and she's still willing to keep meeting with us. 

Wednesday, we taught a former named Erica with our good friend, Brother Newman. She's a little older then Elder Johnson and I and has always held to some kind of belief about God but isn't really sure what kind of purpose he gives us and why. Well, we've helped her find out by teaching her the first lesson and leaving her a Book of Mormon. She marveled at how little she knew about God, Jesus Christ and the prophets of the bible. She's excited for our next visit.   

Thursday we saw Garry who seems to be doing pretty well, but is also slipping away from attending church. He keeps on saying he wants to come but for some reason isn't. 

Friday we did a lot of hours of service. We helped Brother Gauthier move some stuff around in his garage since he's still recovering from back surgery. After that we went over to Brother Candia's and helped him cut down a tree in his front yard. Elder Johnson and I put a rope on the tree pulled on it as Brother Candia cut it down with a chain saw. Unfortunately, my pull wasn't strong enough and a stronger wind ended up causing it to fall directly onto the neighbors' driveway. No damage was done and luckily there wasn't any cars there! The tree was then sawed into pieces and we moved them from the neighbors' driveway and onto the Candias'

Saturday we got an unexpected call from Elder Rolfson (now an assistant to president Burt) and his companion Elder Hay. They wanted to come in and blitz exchange our area. It was a very happy reunion with Elder Rolfson and its been great knowing Elder Hay better. I had only met him once when I went to stay at the Burnaby Chinese Elder's place overnight for a transfer meeting. He says that his Chinese is already starting to leave him a little now that he's back in English work.

Anyhow, I split with Elder Rolfson after the 4 of us ate dinner at Subway. The plan was to go to visit Brother Bernaker (who lives in the same home as Brother Gauthier) and waite for our investigator Faron to meet us there but he never came. Perhaps it was a good thing too, because during our chat, the phone rang and Elder Johnson told us that him and Elder Hay got in a car accident. They were at fault. Nobody was hurt but the front assistants' car had been badly damaged. They somehow managed to drive the thing safely back to our apartment. We left and met them back there. They had called the president and he told them not to drive the car back to Richmond.   

Sunday morning while Elder Rolfson was backing OUR car out GUESS WHAT? Someone backed up, not paying any attention despite Elder Johnson screaming at the guy and hitting his car to stop and ran into our bumper, cracking it slightly. We couldn't believe it! 2 accidents involving 2 assistants in 2 days... Fortunately, Elder Rolfson had no fault in this one. Later that night we had a tow truck come and pick up the assistant's car. This has been the 3rd accident I've had to be a part of on my mission. 1 in Nanaimo, 2 in Clearbrook. Luckily the ones I have been involved in have not been our fault and not severe at all.    

Well, despite the car chaos, we did have a couple of huge miracles occur in church. Just before church started, we met a 24 year old man from one of the Protestant churches in town. His name is Sonny and he told us that a while back he found a Book of Mormon in a library and began reading it. He became fascinated with it and eventually decided to find out the location of our church in Abbotsford so he could attend a sacrament meeting. He didn't go to the other 2 blocks since he was busy with other personal matters but said that he really liked the meeting and he wants to have us teach him more about the church.  

The second miracle that day was the fact that one of the areas former investigators, who hasn't come to church long before I entered the area showed up! His name is James and he knows a ton about the church already since his mother is a member in Burnaby. There's a good chance that he'll get baptized soon! 

With the exception of having to deal with these accidents, it has been a very good week. I should note that according to Elder Rolfson, Elder Lamb is doing amazing in White Rock! He's baptizing someone in the area for the first time in well over a year this week! Have a great week everyone! 
Transfer calls are next Monday so stay tuned. 

Elder Maclean Samis  

No comments:

Post a Comment